My Sinister World

"The is reality, this is life, this is - the caos factor." -Sinister85

13 December, 2006

Dani VS. Mary

Tom petty is filing suit against red hot chili peppers, because of a song battle. Mary Jane's last dance, VS. Dani California. Petty says that Dani California is based upon Mary Jane. Although the songs have a similar point i dont think petty will win his suit. Souly based upon the lyrics, and the tune. He might have won had the chili peppers used the same beat, tune, or even some of the words. I'll post both sets of lyrics after i finish writing, so as you can read them. I cant even pick a side here because both of them i've loved from about the same age. I can remember the first time i saw both of their video's, the same time i fell in love. Which CD did i buy first though? well i guess petty would win that. Because i bought his way back... chili peppers i didn't actually own an album until maybe 6th grade? Music wise, they both have a very good strength, just they are completely different. I couldnt see them working together or anything. So it doesn't surprise me that they are bumping heads here. What does surprise me is, that Mary Jane is an older song. Still very well known, by all ages, but its years old.. Dani California is bran new, last year i believe? After a certain period of time, one might give up hope of filing suit over a song that sounds similar. Because although they don't share words or anything, they are both about a girl. Who did what when, and why she's leaving now. The spin petty should throw on this, so as not to get bad PR. He should leave it as he enjoys the chili peppers, and was flattered by the fact that they maybe got an idea from him. But he realizes that because of the time difference chances are they didn't steal it. And as a compromise he would say that Mary Jane was the girl that was leaving town, and she turns into Dani, and the chili peppers capture her later years, up to her death, and how she will so be missed.. And i promise you if they did a mixed tape type thing, with that spin, they would both make tons of money. Although they would also need to include a few other bands, maybe some other bands have similar songs. I'm sure i could dig some up.. Chances are i'll forget though, so don't count on that. Okay here are the lyrics, you can download or listen to the songs on their myspace web sites. Let me get links: Red Hot Chili Peppers (Dani California) Tom Petty (Mary Jane doesn't appear to be on here though) (download it, thats all i can say) I will post a link at the bottom to where to buy the CD, maybe it has a way so you can preview the song.. check it out..anyway on word to the lyrics:: Follow down to the bottom for a shocking suprise!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Dani California"

Gettin' born in the state of MississippiPoppa was a copper and momma was a hippieIn Alabama she was swinging hammerPrice you gotta pay when you break the panoramaShe never knew that there was anything more than poorWhat in the world does your company take me for?Black bandana, sweet LouisianaRobbin'on a bank in the state of IndianaShe's a runner, rebel and a stunnerOn her merry way saying baby what you gonnaLookin' down the barrel of a hot metal .45Just another way to surviveChorus:California rest in peaceSimultaneous releaseCalifornia show your teethShe's my priestess, I'm your priestYeah, yeahShe's a lover, baby and a fighterShould've seen her coming when it got a little brighterWith a name like Dani CaliforniaDay was gonna come when I was gonna mourn yaA little loaded she was stealing another breathI love my baby to deathChorus:California rest in peaceSimultaneous releaseCalifornia show your teethShe's my priestess, I'm your priestYeah, yeahWho knew the other side of youWho knew what others died to proveToo true to say goodbye to youToo true, too say say say Push the fader, gifted animatorOne for the now and eleven for the laterNever made it, Up to MinnesotaNorth Dakota man was a gunnin' for the quotaDown in the badlands she was saving the best for lastit only hurts when I laughGone too fastChorus:California rest in peaceSimultaneous releaseCalifornia show your teethShe's my priestess, I'm your priestYeah, yeahCalifornia rest in peaceSimultaneous releaseCalifornia show your teethShe's my priestess, I'm your priestYeah, yeah --------------------------------------------------------
Tom Petty and the Heart Breakers - "Mary Jane's Last Dance"
She grew up in a Indiana town, Had a good lookin' mama whonever was around. But she grew up tall and she grew uprightWith them Indiana boys on an Indiana night. Well she moved down here at the age of eighteen, Sheblew the boys away; was more than they'd seen. I wasintroduced and we both started groovin' She said, "I digyou, baby, but I got to keep movin' - on. Keep movin' on."Chorus:Last dance with Mary Jane, one moretime to kill the pain. I feel summer creepin' in and I'mtired of this town again. Well I don't know but I'vebeen told, you never slow down, you never grow old. I'mtired of screwin' up, tired of goin' down, Tired ofmyself, tired of this town, Oh my, my, oh hell yes - Honeyput on that party dress. Buy me a drink, sing me a song,Take me as I come . cause I can't stay long. ChorusThere's pigeons down on Market Square, She's standing in her underwear. Lookin' down from ahotel room, Nightfall will be coming soon. Oh my,my, oh hell yes, you got to put on that party dress. Itwas too cold to cry, when I woke up alone. I hit my lastnumber, I walked to the road. Chorus
------------------------------------------------------------------
Profession asst:
The station, WGMD in Delaware, has produced pretty damning evidence that the bands last single 'Dani California' is a rip off of a Tom Petty track.
Story continues below...The song in question is Petty's 90's hit 'Mary Jane's Last Dance' and the radio stations Morning Show presenter and producer have alleged the plagiarism.
Producer Jared Morris said: "The chord progression, the melody, the tempo, the key, the lyrical themeā€¦ they're identical."
Show presenter Dan Gaffney has produced this MP3 to show up the similarities and help people make their own decisions.

Plagiarism or not, what do you think?
Yes
No
Vote, or comment, whats on your mind!
-------------------------------------------------------------------
And so ends this..... Oh and my birthday, is in less than an hour! dont know if im really excited.. Peace yo-

-Jessica

1 Comments:

Blogger trinara said...

That's pretty crazy. Thanks for putting that link up to the .mp3 comparing the two.

1:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home